Thursday, September 30, 2010

Couponing: The Experience!

So, I've had some people that have shown interest in learning to coupon, and others that have asked me to teach them (or their wives, haha) to coupon, but since most of you aren't sure if you're interested enough to sit down and learn it, I thought I might entice you by sharing my grocery list total/details with you every week. This will also be a way for me to keep track of how I'm doing with it.

When reading these, keep in mind that I have only been couponing for 5 months now. The key to couponing is to be stocking up on items on sale that you need/use (most items go on sale every 6-8 weeks) and I have just gotten established with saving/using coupons and knowing the rules to couponing in stores.

For reference, B1G1= Buy 1 Get 1 Free deal. I put in red what my favorite deals were.

At Publix yesterday, I spent $38.08, and saved $31.91 ($10.16 of that was coupons). Here's the breakdown:

  • 2 Gal. Drinking Water (not on sale) $1.58
  • Shake N' Bake ($2.35 - $0.55 coupon) $1.80
  • 2 Large Jars Ragu ($3.55 each: B1G1 & $0.60 off 2 coupon) $2.95
  • 1 Can refried beans (didn't grab sale & no coupon) $1.25
  • 2 Jars Pace Chunky Salsa ($2.79 each: B1G1 & $0.60/2 coupon) $2.19
  • 3 Bags Knorr Pasta Sides ($1.29/each: B1g1) $1.94
  • 2 Bags Lays Kettle Chips (not on sale & never on sale but Shane likes them) $6.58
  • 2 boxes Martha White Muffin Mix (on sale for $0.75 & $0.70 each coupon) $0.10
  • 1 Bag Dove Candy (again, not on sale, and I wish Shane would have spotted the Nestle B1G1 deal before grabbing them) $4.29
  • 2 Boxes of Old El Paso Dinner Kits ($2.89 each: B1G1 & $1 each coupon) $0.89
  • Krusteaz Cinn. Crumb Cake Mix (2.59: B1G1) $1.30
  • Loaf White Sandwich Bread ($1: Publix Penny Item) $0.01
  • 2 Loaves Natures Own Bread ($3.49 each: B1G1 & $0.75 coupon) $2.74
  • 2 things of Country Crock Spread (1.99 each: B1G1 & $0.80 off each coupon) $0.39
  • 1 Can Pillsbury Grands Cinn. Rolls ($3.49 & $1 off coupon) $2.49
  • 1 Bag Bertolli Skillet Meals ($4.99 & $1 off Target coupon) $3.99 (I could have waited for the Manufactures $1 coupon in this coming Sunday's newspaper but didn't.)
So there you go! Some of these items I didn't even need, but I was getting such a good deal I purchased them anyway. Anyone need butter? If you're wondering why there's no meat, or anything to prepare dinners on this list, I have everything I need for dinners this week from the last few grocery trips this month. You should also know that Publix doesn't ever put their meats on sale; when it's about to go bad, they donate it to local charities. So, I buy and stock up on my meats at Sam's. I also usually buy milk at Sam's because it's only $2 a gallon there.

I love shopping at Publix because they:
1) double coupons that are $0.50 or less (7 of my coupons totals above were doubled)
2) take competitor's coupons (Target included at my store and there are a lot of Target coupons available online!)
3) take one Manufactures coupon and store coupon per item
4) don't require you to buy 2 items when they are B1G1. It'll just ring up as half off each!

If you are interested in couponing, visit www.southernsavers.com. This is where I learned to coupon, and the website makes it really easy! You can create your grocery list on the website based on what's for sale at your store, then under each item, it tells you what coupons you should have, or if it's a printable coupon, it lets you click on the link to print it.


No comments:

Post a Comment