Thursday, October 14, 2010

Weekly Menus Using Couponed Food


Southern Savers posts every week a couple of menu ideas based on the sales items at Publix, and I think it's a great idea; so much so that I decided to start filling you in every week on what I'm serving for dinners based on what I'm buying. Here's this week (Starting Tuesday since I already told you about the Chicken and Orzo soup served Monday):

Tuesday, October 12 2010
  • Baked, breaded Pork Chops:
- 3 Boneless Pork Chops: $3 (I buy meat in bulk at Sam's)
- Shake N' Bake: $0.90
  • Publix Chicken Flav. Rice: $Free (got it on the last buy theirs get ours deal)
  • Zucchini Casserole:
- 2 Zucchini: $1.50
- Onion: $0.20 worth
- Ritz Crackers: $0.10 worth
- Cheese: $free (used mom's)
- Eggs: $0.12 worth
- Milk: $Free (used mom's)
- Butter: $0.10 worth (of one of the jugs I got for $0.39 2 weeks ago)
  • Rolls: $1.24 (divided bag of them up between this and Thursday's dinners)
Total Cost: $7.16!
This meal fed 4 very hungry adults

Thursday, October 14 2010

  • Jambalaya:
- Zatarain's Jambalaya Rice Mix: $0.75
- 1 Chicken Breast: $1
- 1/2 lb Cajun Sausage: $2
  • Rolls: $1.24
  • Salad Mix: $1.45
Total Cost: $6.44!
This meal fed 3 Hungry Adults (supposed to have 6 servings worth, haha)

I'll go ahead an conclude this week's with those 2 meals, and update with more depending on how much I cook this weekend (which is usually next to none). Other than couponing, I live frugally by eating dinner with my mom 3 nights a week and splitting the grocery bill with her. This saves the both of us a TON of money, and it's nice for me to have someone to eat with at nights, since Shane works until 8 or 9pm every night. On Tuesday nights, my mother's boyfriend comes to eat dinner with us and makes a little contribution. I actually made money off of this Tuesday's dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Next time you cook jambalaya, you should use 1 pound of chicken and 1 pound of sausage and use two boxes of mix! Stephen and I do this all the time and it gives us several days worth of delicious left-overs!

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete